The cooperative is a project in public collaboration in the spirit of public theology. Drawn from the life of the Uniting Church in Australia, together we are asking, what does it mean to think the common good in our time and in our place? And who are the voices Christian theology has yet to listen to? To explore these questions, were establishing a number of focus areas, including academic research, public events and conferences, a church and lay focus series, a publishing arm, and digital dialogue across our website and podcast. We want to make room for otherwise impossible conversations and hope you can join us.
With are delighted to announce our 2021- 2022 cooperative fellows; each collaborating with the cooperative over the coming year and each an important contributor to public theology in Australia.
Dr Janice McRandal
- Good faith – we create spaces for collaboration for those who come in good faith, those seeking to learn from others and work together in partnership toward the betterment of our communities.
- Listening hard – as we collaborate, we are always mindful that there are those easy to hear, and many more whose voices are stifled or ignored. We commit to and value the practice of listening hard, ensuring that in every conversation staged, we’ve asked together ‘who are those hard to hear in this space, and how can we centre those voices?’
- Difference – too many of our public conversations have been centred around homogenous voices. Indeed, the historic idea of a public is based on the inclusion of a small group of men. The Cooperative will only ever stage conversations that are broad and inclusive, forging a space that radically reframes the public.
- Accessibility – The Cooperative values all efforts toward accessibility. Our commitment to accessibility applies to all our physical and digital locations.
- Partnership, not replication – as a project of collaboration, The Cooperative values partnership wherever possible, and commits to resist replicating services and programs that exist elsewhere in our communities.
Partners and Collaborators
The Cooperative is an initiative of Wesley Mission Queensland , a not-for-profit community service provider.
We are also delighted to collaborate with the Australian Collaborators in Feminist Theologies, promoting the work of the ACFT and co-hosting events that engage the intersections of feminist and public theologies.
Ultimately we seek to forge many creative partnerships, and we look forward to some exciting announcements to come.